Grantmakers for Education is pleased to offer our members an environment in which they can freely network with peers, share best practices, and have open, frank dialogue about issues that concern them. Members value the ability to convene, communicate and explore collaborative funding opportunities – grantmaker to grantmakers – free from approach of potential grantseekers or other solicitations. GFE sustains this valued solicitation-free learning community by carefully weighing the eligibility of prospective members, and by reminding program participants (whether they are members or eligible non-members) of our mutually-shared commitment to foster a dynamic learning environment.
Membership in GFE is open to education grantmakers who meet our eligibility criteria. In our commitment to include a wide range of education grantmakers and perspectives, we understand that, in addition to making grants, some GFE members also seek grants, donors or clients. Our intent as an organization – and the mutual understanding of all GFE members – is that members engage in GFE and with each other to enhance their education grantmaking and their roles as grantmakers, and not to promote fundraising.
GFE members and program participants respect their education philanthropy colleagues and the integrity of GFE as a network through their commitment to the following:
- Organizations join GFE with the primary interest of becoming more effective and capable education grantmakers and engaging with colleagues in that shared interest.
- The GFE member directory is a tool for members to network and share information, and is not to be used for any purpose related to fundraising or soliciting.
- Development/fundraising staff aren't eligible for membership in GFE, even if they work for member organizations; they aren't listed in the GFE member directory, nor do they participate in any GFE programs or activities.
- Solicitation/development activities should not take place in direct connection with one's GFE membership or participation in any GFE program or activity.
- When members share the directory with outside people/organizations working on the members' behalf (for instance, to disseminate a project report or other data), all involved understand and agree that the directory is confidential and proprietary that it will be used one time only, and that the exported data will be destroyed after such use.
- Anyone who participates in any GFE program or activity as a guest of, or on behalf of, GFE or a member (e.g., speakers, consultants, session organizers, etc.) does so with these same agreements.
We are proud to work with you to strengthen education philanthropy. Through these collective agreements, we support all GFE members in collegial spirit.
Strengthening philanthropy to improve outcomes and expand opportunities for all students